As we grow older, our mobility can become limited, making it difficult to move around our homes. This can result in injuries from falls and a reduction in independence. However, with some simple modifications and adjustments, you can make your home more mobility-friendly and create a safer environment for yourself or your loved ones.
Easy switches you can make today
- Create clear pathways by removing any clutter or unnecessary furniture that may impede movement. Ensure that pathways are well-lit to make them more visible and safer to navigate. Remove any mats in hallways and living spaces as these can create the risk of a fall.
- Use non-slip mats in wet areas such as the bathroom to reduce the risk of slips and falls.
- Lower the height of storage areas such as shelves and cabinets to make them more accessible and reduce the risk of falls or accidents.
- Replacing doorknobs and taps with lever–style handles will make it easier to open doors or turn on taps and reduce the strain on hands and fingers.
What your aged care provider near you, such as Home Care Assistance Newcastle, can do:
As a leading aged care provider in Newcastle, Home Care Assistance can assist you in implementing changes to make your home more mobility-friendly with their home care packages. Using your Home Care Package, we can organise professionals such as occupational therapists (OT) to conduct home safety assessments to identify potential hazards and suggest modifications that can improve mobility and safety. From these recommendations, we can:
- Install grab bars and other safety features: We can organise the installation of all grab bars, handrails, and other safety features in your home to provide additional support and stability.
- Organise the purchase of mobility aids: Your care manager can coordinate your care with physios, OT, etc and organise the purchase of recommended mobility aids such as walkers, canes, and wheelchairs.
- Assist with home modifications: When required we can assist with home modifications such as stair lifts, wheelchair ramps, and bathroom modifications to make the changes necessary to keep you or your loved one independent in place.
- Purchase falls-detection devices: your home care package can cover the cost of falls-detection devices to keep you safe at home and alert family or emergency services if you need assistance.
Additionally, Home Care Assistance Newcastle can provide in-home care services such as assistance with daily activities, medication management, and transportation to assist your mobility needs.
Making your home more mobility-friendly doesn’t have to be a difficult or expensive process. By implementing simple changes and working with a trusted aged care provider like Home Care Assistance Newcastle, you can create a safer and more accessible environment for yourself or your loved ones.